Re: [foxboro] Hart FBM's

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 12:36:11 -0500

Advantages:  Multiple variables over one pair of wires.  250+ -ohm drop
resistor makes the system more friendly to handhelds.  Possibly enables
use of some future asset-management system.

Disadvantages:  Extra blocks for analog inputs, as RINs only have the most
basic functionality, though I hear they are enhanced in some 8.something
version that I don't have.  HART transmitter status problems cause system
alarms (this is actually a problem with system alarming not being flexible
enough).  No asset-management or instrument configurator tools on my
system that really make use of the HART data (IFDC is basic data only, and
that is if it works at all, which it often does not).  HART comms are slow
-- one HART message per BPC, though I understand that might also be
rectified in later software.  ROUT blocks insist on a readback from the
FBM or HART device, making them slower to respond to operator changes.
HART output cards interfere with PC or handheld comms to our Masoneilan
SVI2-AP smart positioners when in HART mode, so we had to turn it off.

And currently we are fighting an issue with FBM214 or TA failures (see
list archives for more info).  No resolution yet.

I don't have the latest and greatest I/A software, but in my current
situation I'd say the HART cards have not been worth the pain.  If you
have a lot of multivariable transmitters or something, then maybe they are
worth it, but we do not use much of that.

Corey Clingo
BASF

"Long, Brian" <blong@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
08/16/2010 09:12 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Foxboro (foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[foxboro] Hart FBM's

We are considering using HART FBM's for an upcoming project.  Would anyone
care to share how the HART info is being used from a DCS perspective.
Thanks,
Brian Long
Arkansas Kraft