Re: [foxboro] HHT - PC20

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:44:13 -0600

I didn't respond initially because I thought he was using this for Foxcom
instruments, which I don't have any of.  We do use PC20 for the handful of
Foxboro HART transmitters we have, and the only issue we've really had is
the proprietary serial port driver that must be used.  As long as it's
there, we have no problem, but our other software doesn't work with it, so
we have to switch it for the regular Windows driver when configuring other
instruments (which is most of the time), and we forget to switch it back,
etc.  I suspect, as someone else said, that it also doesn't work with
USB<->serial converters and such.

I also use IFDC (a.k.a. PC20 for Solaris) on two systems.  It is of course
limited except when talking to Foxboro instruments, but works for basic
checking.  What's weird though is that on one system it works quite well.
On the other I can hardly get it to connect at all.  Both systems are
v6.5.3 with CP60s and FBM214s.  I also find it dog slow (compared to a
375) on the system that works, but this is apparently due to the way the
FBMs and the HART passthru system only send/receive one HART message per
FBM scan.  I hear that this is supposedly improved in some version 8
release, but I don't know for sure.

One of these days, I'd like to have a DCS that I can do full instrument
configuration on all/most of my instruments from.  I don't think that DCS
would say Foxboro on it, but I could be wrong.

And Mr. Long's question remains unanswered...sorry :/

Corey

"Jeff Blair" <jblair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
02/19/2009 03:18 PM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] HHT - PC20

Brian,
I use PC20, PC50, HART 375 and local instrument displays for
configuration.  Can you give me an idea of what type of instruments
you're trying to configure?

I'm not running any signals through DCS for configuration, I just
connect directly to the instruments.  Perhaps that isn't practical in
your case?

I attached a .doc that shows the requirements to run PC20.  I get a lot
of problems when people try to run it on a PC without a native serial
port.  PC20 is a great program, it connects automatically to
instruments.  If the attachment didn't make it through the feelist, send
me an e-mail directly at jblair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and I'll send it to you
directly.

Best regards,
Jeff Blair