Re: [foxboro] Foxboro I/A OPC

  • From: "tjvandew@xxxxxxxxx" <tjvandew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 10:13:32 -1000

        I'm on vacation and shouldn't be replying but this is my hot button.
Foxboro is in the business of PROCESS CONTROL, Wonderware is in the
business of HMI.  IMHO, Foxboro is way behind in the HMI realm for both
operational displays and configuration application interfaces.
Wonderware was a leader in HMI.  If they want to regain their position,
I think they will have to get great at web-based interfaces.  WW's game
is sucking data is from different systems into their InSQL database and
taking care of all the HMI issues for a host of different systems, not
just Foxboro.  I can imagine, with the speed of new processors, and a
new MESH network that can get rid of the Carrierband/Nodebus throughput
bottleneck, that WW will be able to grab data in virtual real-time into
InSQL from Foxboro's Global Object Manager.  With that data in hand in a
SQL database, WW COULD serve it via a non-OS specific browser window.
(But will they?) Only if they have someone with vision, that is smart
enough to see the light!  I've said it many times before but here it is
again.  I don't give a rats a-- how the data is being served or by what
OS, but I can use different browsers in a host of different OS's to do
shopping in realtime on Ebay.  I can bid down to the second on any of
their millions of items offered so don't tell me a browser can't do real
time manipulations.  Most HMI issues, (contrary to operations belief),
do not require the techs to manipulate variables in sub-second or even
seconds.  That kind of response is built into the process controllers.
The techs wouldn't be able to keep up if they constantly had to make
such real time decisions.  I'm sold on Mozilla Firefox but if standards
are followed any browser might do, even the antiquated IE 6.0.
        The bigger problem here is how would Wonderware charge for their
offering, but the other side of the story is, if they don't figure it
out someone else, (willing to accept a smaller profit margin, will!
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tom VandeWater