Re: [foxboro] Foxboro I/A OPC

  • From: "Cossitt, Howard" <howard.cossitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:29:23 -0500

My 2 cents for what it's worth.
Right off the bat, I must admit that I work for Invensys. I am not involved
in any present security effort so I still feel my opinion is unbiased with
the following statements:
- Invensys (Foxboro) does have both a team and an approach towards security
effectively taking responsibility for security on the customer's system.
They are actively involved in multiple international security focus groups
globally
 - There is an entire security section on our customer satisfaction website
dedicated to our philosophy and approach.
 - One example of taking responsibility is equipping every shipped windows
based operator and engineering workstation with antivirus software.
Additionally, you may download updates for this software form our customer
satisfaction website with the assurance that we have qualified it.  It's our
demonstration of responsibility towards providing you with a more secure
system without throwing the ball in "the other guys" backyard.
 - Another example is the section on our customer satisfaction website for
downloading Microsoft Windows updates.  We qualify them through testing and
make them available for you to download with information on the test result.
If testing fails, you also get to see these results ensuring you don't
install these.  It is rare to see someone not put the responsibility on "old
Bill" but we provide customers with this service.
 - Last but not least, our security team does provide hardening and security
services.  These are not just networking experts; these are "process
control" people with security knowledge so they actually do understand that
what applies to IT might not be simply transposed to a control station.

I must agree this says nothing on vision or development with regards to the
products.
I also do not doubt that someone at one time may have made customers feel
like it was someone else's problem.
It is just not the case today.
From our security page, you may contact our security team with your
concerns, they will be more than happy to pass on their knowledge and help
anyone out.

I will e-mail some general info I have with regards to passing data from the
control system to the plant network to you off list (so I may attach some
files) if that can serve as guidance.

Best regards,

Howard C. Cossitt
National Training Coordinator, Lifetime Learning Center
Invensys Systems Canada
Phone: +1-514-421-8095
Fax: +1-514-421-8059
Email:  howard.cossitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx