Re: [foxboro] AIM_AT Authorization Code Gotchas (Users Beware)

  • From: David Johnson <drjohn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:18:54 -0600

Tom,

While I agree with your broader point. (Who would steal AIM * from
home use, and if my plant needs it to run, "borrowing" it is unwise
on many levels.  If you buy it, what's the need of a license?)  That
being said.  I have always had good results getting keys when we
crash a box in the middle of  the night.  TAC will give you a
temporary one no hassle.  At least they did last summer when we
smoked an AW on a startup.  The problem is remembering to get the
proper key installed before the temporary one expires.  Which we
neglected to do and realized when things quit working.

If you want really interesting licensing issues just get some of the
latest Rockwell stuff.  What?  You don't have access to the internet
where you are?  Here write down this gazillion digit hex key.  Or try
activating windows inside a nuclear facility.

I never understood the idea of licensing software products that are
so entwined with vendor specific hardware.  It's not like we can make
a FCP270 from a box of spare parts in basement.

Best of luck.
David