Re: Why 4 Procs

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:58:04 -0500

Needs of the solution, quite simply.  YMMV, but some folks can't tolerate
using expensive layer-8 devices to make up for one time hardware costs.
When you do the ROI, one is certainly more expensive in any organization
than the other.

When you use Exchange, you're using far more than SMTP/POP/IMAP like in that
earlier *nix comparison.  To that end, if you use the *nix groupware
products, you'll find that they don't scale nearly as well as Exchange does
on similar hardware.  That seems acceptable in that realm, but that's how it
is.

When I say needs of the solution, I'm hinting around the real question.
What is the requirements for user density per server?  I even gave some
numbers (put my neck out on that one) saying that if you weren't going over
1500 medium user density (as per MMB 3 benchmarks) then 4 proc machines
might not have the benefit that justifies the expense. Or, you may be fine
with poor performance, or maybe you don't plan to use MAPI users, but rather
pop/imap or maybe you don't let users have more than 10mb of mail on average
so your other processor intensive processes are lower as well.  The list
goes on.

Bottom line: you get better performance when scaling Exchange with four
processor machines.  Fact. You may get acceptable performance on a two-way
machine.  If you're really a small shop and can find a single processor
server class machine (I'm sure they're out there, but I don't see them as
frequently) then you may do just fine with that.  In fact, I run Exchange on
a single processor because it's a test lab in a VS environment.  VS 2005
only supports 1 processor for VM.  Not a choice at this point no matter how
much hardware is presented.

Assuming all things are equal (disk, memory, etc) you'll need to provide
more details about your requirements to help us answer why you should go
with 4 or 2 proc machines in your particular implementation.  Include any
third party applications and expected performance from a consumer
perspective and don't forget to take into account their network latency
(performance is partially expressed
(client-latency+network-latency+server-latency+perception).

Al