RE: WIndows 2003 SMTP

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:42:46 -0500

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:37:25 -0700, Deb
<deb.l.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> I was going the direction of using Windows 2003 SMTP services, but I keep
> hearing Windows is not robust or secure enough to be the SMTP mail
> gateway/router.  Comments?

My updated reply from Feb 8, 2005:

The IIS 4.0, 5.0, and 6.0 SMTP service is a very simple Windows based
MTA.  If all
you need is a simple MTA, then obviously it will do the job for you.

What is a simple Windows MTA? In my opinion, it's one that is:

-Primarily configured through a GUI in Windows with check boxes and
radio buttons
-Has a limited configuration in comparison to Postfix, Sendmail,
qmail, Exim, etc.
-Has limited customization "    "
-Is pretty much RFC compliant
-Limited content and connection filtering

In other words, it was designed as an MTA, and it does just that.

Personally, the IIS 6.0 SMTP service is great for internal SMTP
communication, however, I prefer to have Postfix as my Internet facing
SMTP MTA server/firewall/gateway. With this configuration, not only do
I not have to be consumed with security patches on my Internet accessible
services, but I also have an almost infinite level of configuration options.

...D