RE: Exchange 2000 DR with SAN replication.

  • From: Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Exchange List <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:35:57 -0500

Yes, I¹ve worked on these systems.  It¹s still a cluster, you¹ll see them
referred to as a geocluster a lot of the time, basically meaning the hot
site is geographically differentiated from the main site.

Basically you have a passive node at the DR site (in your sketch, server C)
and you¹re reliant on your hardware vendor to handle the SAN replication.

To have this work, you¹re looking at clustering the three servers and making
at least one a passive node.  The replication costs are going to be high ­
usually this scenario is exorbitantly high priced for all but the most
mission critical systems.  Personally I know of three companies that have
explored the scenario in depth, and all three threw it out because of the
cost.  All three are Fortune 100 companies that decided that, while email
was important, it wasn¹t THAT important.

By the way, I am assuming E2K3 in your environment ­ you don¹t want to be
doing geoclustering with E2K, it just isn¹t that good for clustering
compared to the latest version.

Paul Robichaux has a blog on this at
http://blogs.msdn.com/evand/archive/2004/05/11/130177.aspx . He¹s talking
about a product by NSI Software that facilitates geoclustering.

Rick