[ExchangeList] Re: E-maill archiving solutions?

  • From: <ChongJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:16:26 -0500

Do you have any particular features you are looking for? I set this up for an
organization right before I left. We used it for only VPs and not the entire
organization for piloting first before they went ahead with everyone. I had
left before they did this. One thing you want to keep in mind is scalability
with this product. We were either going to go with EMC Xtender or HP RISS. From
my research of both products, Xtender was not as scalable as RISS was, and
there was an article that did a comparison of both products. However RISS was
much more costlier. But it's all going to depend on how many users you tend to
support. Also with my experience setting it up, there was alot of buggy issues
during setup. For example, we deployed this last summer, My first issue was
after installation, part of the archiving tasks were not working correctly,
come to find out, it did not support sp1. My second issue, archiving tasks
would hang at times. After calling support it was a known issue, and had to go
into the registry each time this occurs to delete the task. After asking them
if there was a patch to fix this, or if I would have to do this every time, I
could not get a direct answer. Another issue, when using FE\BE for OWA, it
would not unarchive attachments. After working with support for about a month,
they finally found a patch. The odd thing is the patch was released about a
month or two earlier. All this gave me the impression that this product was not
very mature. May be the product is better now.