[etni] just wondering... (not really about teaching)

  • From: "Sumartin" <sumartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:34:01 +0200

To me, this was always one of the nice things about Israel, that we did not
celebrate the Gregorian New Year.  I remember (that shows how old I am) when
every student came to school on Jan.1 and there was no question about it.  And
then I remember the year when the non-religious head of the English department
asked everyone how many Chrisitians they had in their class because if you
celebrated Jan 1 as the new year you were certainly not Jewish nor were you
Muslim.  And yes, every notice from the school office had and I believe still
has the Hebrew date on it.  It was also the time when a party always included
the whole class even outside of school and students were encouraged to feel a
class unity in their lives generally.  And it seems to me that our students
have lost a great deal by the current lack of unity and inclusivity.

Sue from Netanya