[etni] Re: just wondering... (not really about teaching)

  • From: "Adele Raemer and Laurie Levy" <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <evagreenya@xxxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 18:04:55 +0200

Personally, I have always found it hypocritical of our institutions NOT to
recognize the Gregorian New Year! How many of us use the Hebrew dates? How
many of us even know what the Hebrew year is? Do we write it on our letters?
(Most of us do NOT!) Have you ever gotten a doctors' appointment with a
Hebrew date on it? (I haven't) What about the tax year? (For some of my
employers, I have to fill out a new form for me being employed there, even
though it is in the middle of the school year - AND the Hebrew calendar
year!)

I hate it when I have to argue with the kids that they HAVE to be in school
on Jan 1st! Aside from the fact that Gregorian time-keeping  is NO LESS (and
yes- probably MORE) meaningful to me in my every day life than the Hebrew
year, (the Hebrew year is more meaningful for me traditionally, culturally -
but the ONLY think I count by it are my parent's yartzeit candles) it unites
us with the rest of the world, who also celebrate their own holidays, but do
not ignore the global New Year. So WHAT if some guy persecuted us way back
when! Why should I continue to suffer for that NOW?! In fact, if you look at
it according to those parameters, I would have a hard time going to GERMANY
- but no PROBLEM celebrating New Year!

(Sorry for the tirade, but you have hit on a sensitive spot for me ;)

Adele

  _____