[etni] Re: gap between the tsiun shnati and the bagrut exam

  • From: Richard & Shira <richshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:31:30 +0200

I wholeheartedly agree with Sara. The year grade (according to the
Ministry's guidelines) is not supposed to be an estimate of how well
students will do on the actual exam. I, too, feel like I have explained
this till I am "blue in the face" to students, parents, homeroom teachers
etc. The students that do much better on the exam than on their classwork
still feel embittered and angry and will definitely be back as external
students to write the exam again without the year grade.
I found another issue problematic though. We gave two (previous bagrut)
tests in preparation for the module F in the winter. We also marked these
tests according to the official keys and the writing according to the
guidelines provided at a hishtalmut given by the inspectorate. Almost all
of my students got higher grades (some considerably) on the bagrut itself,
than the grades they scored on either of the tests. This was really
frustrating for me and for them. The students think I deliberately marked
them down on the practice tests. I found it frustrating not being able to
predict how my students would do, especially regarding the borderline kids.
It led me to believe that either we are still not really aware, as
teachers, how the bagrut exams are actually marked, or that the tests are
unreliable and that the level of difficulty between last summer's tests and
the winter bagrut was in fact quite different. Either way this is problematic.

What do others think?

Shira

Richard & Shira
Tuval