[etni] Re: Testing Question Formation

  • From: "Avraham J. Roos" <avrahamroos@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Adele Raemer and Laurie Levy" <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:23:14 +0200

Adele wrote concerning incorperating specific question formation items in
the bagrut:
> I missed your point.... do you think it's a good idea or a bad one?

I showed in my e-mail that:
a. I could be done
b. Different levels could be made up
c. The questions for Modules F and G could become quite difficult.

Do I think it would be a good idea? I honestly don't know. It would give
teachers finally something solid to teach. On the other hand, it would mean
again moving away from authentic tasks (although I tried to make it as
authentic as possible).

I would love to hear some comments concerning this type of bagrut question.
For those who missed it, I am resending it below.

Avraham Roos

Here is a paragraph taken from Eric Cohen's Module D
Practice Papers (fourth paper, page 14, lines 6-9):

"Brown started paying chess while he was in jail for robbery. Chess taught
him that impulsive actions often lead to disaster. He learned that if you
don't think carefully before you move your pieces on the board, you'll lose
them - and the game! Planning, he realized, gives you control over the game,
and over your life as well."

Lowest level Bagrut question:
Suppose you are a reporter planning to interview the now famous Eugene
Brown. Write down a question you would ask Eugene Brown about his stay in
the prison and what he learned there.

Possible student answer: What did you learn when you were in prison?

Intermediate level Bagrut question:
Suppose you are a reporter planning to interview the now famous Eugene
Brown. Which TWO questions would you ask him? Make sure to ask only
questions connected to the paragraph above.

Possible student answer:
When did you start playing chess?
What did chess teach you?

Advanced level Bagrut question:
Suppose you are a reporter planning to interview the now famous Eugene
Brown. Which THREE questions would you ask him? Make sure to ask only
questions connected to the paragraph above. Do NOT ask questions of which
the answer is specifically mentioned in the text.

Possible student answer:
Would you say that chess has changed your life?
Do you still play chess, now that you are out of prison?
Do you feel all prisoners should be taught chess?