[etni] Re: Testing Question Formation

  • From: "Adele Raemer and Laurie Levy" <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drjamesbacker@xxxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:30:30 +0200

> 1. How would you test the ability to ask questions?
> Using Krashen's distinction, we could test the learned
> ability in a written test or the acquired ability in
> an contextualized oral test. Which one would you do
> and how?
>
> 2. How are we going to ensure that teachers teach
> question formation when it isn't currently being
> tested?

1. It IS included in many textbooks and taught explicitly
2. Many PBTs and projects include some form of questionairre - that is a
great opportunity to focus on question formation as an enabling skill and
teach (and test) it explicitly.
3. We do not explicitly test present perfect progressive (or any other
grammar form, for that matter) any more on the bagrut- it all comes up in
context, why shouldn't questions?  But if you insist, each bagrut exam
(say - from C and upwards) could include a specific item requiring the
testee to write an informed, grammatically corect question about the test
just read. I think that is a much fairer way to test question form (which is
really difficult for most of our learners, and if we really want them to
succeed, it is better to give them the opportunity to do it in writing where
they can reflect on what they have written, rather than spontaneously- have
you noticed how many well-educated professional newsbroadcasters flub
questions in English?  What do we want from our kids!???
4. "Going home soon?", "Feeling hungry? How about a pizza?" ,"Got a
tenner?", "Get the idea?", Question formation is becoming practically
EXTINCT in colloquial, native spoken English!  Why make an entire section on
the oral exam just for that???!!!

~ Adele