[etni] Fwd: re: antiHOTS lists and number

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 19:30:30 +0300

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: sbshai <sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: antiHOTS lists and number

Thank you Adi, Phil and Rafi for saying what clearly needed to be said!

The unfortunate fact is that anyone working for the Ministry cannot be
appealed to for an objective evaluation of the disputed program.
Moreover, the assertion that the level of English learning has been
raised over the years as a direct result of all the questionable
changes we've had to endure would be laughable if it were not so sad.

But how can we hope for objectivity when we can't even get answers to
straightforward questions like:

(A) What can be gained by forcing a program on unwilling teachers AND
students?  (Wouldn't the losses offset any gains?)

(B) Why is there no recognition that the HOTS lit. program cannot
apply to or benefit everyone?  If we accept that students learn in
different ways, by logical extension we should acknowledge that
different teaching methods are necessary to achieve a particular goal.
 After all, that's  'higher order thinking' at its best!

Shabbat Shalom,
Batya