[etni] Re: [FWD: Where is ETNI going?]

  • From: "Bari Nirenberg" <nirenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 15:59:03 +0200

> > I think it was wrong to post Nina's letter on ETNI and use ETNI
> as a channel
> > to get teachers' signatures.  But even more than that, I resent
> the fact
> > that in the article in Haaretz, it was written about the
> opinion of teachers
> > on ETNI, reported by David Lloyd.  Well, I'm on ETNI and I
> don't agree at
> > all with what has been written, and i know that many other
> teachers feel the
> > same way.

The article reported the opinions of teachers who had answered the survey,
as, in my opinion, was clearly stated.  David and Laurie were quoted only
because they agreed to be quoted.  In regards to this particular issue (the
level of the module exams, particularly exam E), where are all of these
other ETNI teachers who don't agree with what the letter says?  In the two
and a half months since the exam (moed alef), I don't remember hearing
anyone say that they thought the exam was fair and disagreed with those who
did not.

As for Nina's letter, I think the ETNI team has been very fair about posting
everything that pertains to teaching English, whether it comes from the
English teachers or from the Ministry.  Note that the Ministry's response to
Nina's letter is also posted on the site.  ETNI is the only place where
English teachers can discuss issues and voice their opinions collectively.
The ETNI team has never showed any kind of bias for or against English
teachers in cases of "the teachers vs. the Ministry".  I don't see anything
wrong with posting Nina's letter or anything else that concerns English
teaching in Israel.  Ultimately, our goals and the goals of the Ministry are
the same and allowing opinions from both sides to be publicly expressed can
only lead to an improvement in English education in Israel.

> > What has ETNI turned into?
> > I feel that ETNI is turning into a source to be used by newspapers and
> > teachers' unions in any way they like and to their advantage
> and that people
> > on ETNI are encouraging this.  I think that the people running
> ETNI should
> > seriously think and reconsider where ETNI is going and what the
> consequences
> > of what has been happening recently could be.  If in the past, I was
> > "afraid" of writing because I didn't want to be "attacked", now
> I am afraid
> > of being quoted in the newspaper!

What "consequences" are you referring to?  Are we no longer allowed to write
letters to the Ministry and to the union?  Interestingly, a group of Bagrut
examiners wrote a letter to the Irgun complaining about the large number of
exams that we are expected to mark (the new modules).  They actually
presented this letter (with Judy Steiner's approval) at the briefing for
moed bet.  And do you know where they put the letter for people to sign?  On
the wall (or maybe it was a door...) in the Marvad, a Ministry building!  As
far as I know, no one took it down or complained about it (of course, I
could be wrong about that -- I didn't hear anything about it, in any case).

I find it interesting that you were previously afraid to write because you
were afraid of being "attacked", yet you had no trouble publicly attacking
three teachers (Nina, David and Sue) in this post.  I don't think we
generally "attack" other people here when there is a difference of opinion.
I think we discuss issues like the professionals and the mature adults that
we are.

And as I mentioned above, no one was quoted in the newspaper without giving
their consent.  I know that on several occasions, I've asked NOT to be
quoted in the newspaper and my request has always been honored.  So I don't
believe you have anything to be afraid of.

> > Regarding Nina's letter that was posted on ETNI, there are
> official ways of
> > getting answers to questions.  Was an official letter first sent to the
> > Ministry, or to Judy, which was not answered??  I want to
> remind you that
> > ETNI is not an official site of the Ministry and if anyone
> wants answers to
> > questions, then they should write an official letter to whoever
> that issue
> > is related to.

This is true, but the letter posted on ETNI IS the letter that was sent to
the Ministry.  Nina simply felt it would be more effective with a large
number of signatures instead of only hers.  I think that is perfectly
acceptable (and logical).  The letter was posted for the purpose of getting
those signatures.

> > And while I'm at it, Sue, I think that your letter about "Where
> is Judy?" is
> > totally inappropriate both in content and in tone.
> Unfortunately, there
> > have been too many letters of this kind.

On this particular point, I tend to agree.  Perhaps not all of our questions
and concerns have been addressed at this point, but anyone who has a
question for Judy should send it directly to Judy.  We should also keep in
mind that Judy reads the ETNI list.  Personally, I would be very offended if
a message like that were posted about me.  I think we should all try to
maintain a more professional tone when posting to the list.

Bari
---