[etni] [FWD: Re: quicktionaries]]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 03:40:09 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: Re: [etni] [FWD: Fw: quicktionaries]
 From: "Yisrael and Batya Medad" <ybmedad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> At 11:47 04/03/04 -0700, you wrote:
>Good, let students of the English language use any tool to translate
>whole sentences. I also include the still great paper dictionary.
> The computer you have used to e-mail this note is a tool that has
> made communication easier. Now we can

 Whether the computer is a tool and the quictionary is also a tool has nothing
whatsoever to do with the subject.  Our job is not to train our students to use
technology.  That's why I davka don't care that my students have no internet
access when doing projects.  We are supposed to teach them  English, not
technology.

 Personally I'd prefer that any paper dictionary be permitted for all students.
 Let them bring three or four, which would be much better teaching (and
testing) tools, and far superior dictionary help, than the electric
dictionaries.  I specialize in teaching the weaker and mild learning disabled
kids, and in my experience having a variety of paper dictionaries, like
Passport and the white Oxford and red Zilberman(?) help them much more.  When I
teach higher level students, their composition-writing is far less stressful.
When I studied Spanish in NY as a student, we were always allowed two-direction
dictionaries, when dictionaries were needed.

 Batya