[etni] [FWD: quicktionary and e. dicts]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 03:43:39 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: quicktionary and e. dicts
 From: "The Shermak Family" <pooh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

 This discussion hit a sore point!

 I would never dream of teaching all of my classes the same curriculum (11th- 5
point, 8th non-readers and 9th heterogenous  ) however there is one thing which
remains consistent in all of my classes - my dislike (down right loathing) of
electronic dictionaries etc).

A wonderful example to support my dislike is as such:

One of my students once wanted to write in a composition that "the man was in
trouble."  He didn't know how to say trouble so he entered "Tzarot" into his
electronic dictionary (obviously unaware of the plural s" rule in Hebrew) and
received - yes you got it!-  Narowness (better known as Tzaroot)

Needless to say his composition was a total mess.

Why would we want to do this to our students?  Teach them as early on as
possible how to use a dictionary.  Have them put dividers in their dictionary
for easy access.  Have them write the letters on the side (the white pages
side) for those who are having trouble still and above all -
 MAKE THEM PRACTICE CONSTANTLY!

 This is a skill for life (talk about teaching them how to fish!)  Allow them
to bring the milonit into the test for confidence, but encourage them to use a
dictionary for actual accurate information and help.

 Thanks for listening.

 Happy Purim!

 Judie Shermak