Re: jpegs throwing up 'ambiguous filetype' dialog

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:40:55 +1100

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:46:53 -0600
Adam Krolnik <adam.krolnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How about posting the alg for determining the type of the file, in
> pseudo code.
> That way we could see how it works (or is supposed to.)

 if item is not a directory
    log whether the item is executable (user has X permission, and file(1)
reports "executable")
    if itemname has no extension
       if item is executable
         run it
       else if file(1) reports "text"
         view the file contents
       else
         ask user what to do with it
    else check each possible extension in turn, for whether it corresponds to a
filetype
    if a recognised extension is found
       if item is executable, and action is not just to run it
          ask the user whether to run it or do the filetype action
       else
          perform the default action for the filetype
    else
       if item is executable
         run it
       else