Re: jpegs throwing up 'ambiguous filetype' dialog

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:02:24 +1100

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 00:26:59 +0000 (GMT)
Phil Grundig <wdef200@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I know it gets ELF binaries and shell scripts.  What
> > does it miss?
> >
> > Other scripts (perl, python ...), libraries.
>
> Dunno, might be worth checking if this is system or version dependent. Maybe
> different systems have different magic lists
> /etc/magic:/usr/share/misc/file/magic
>
> file-4.02 (quite old probably) certainly catches perl scripts regardless of x
> permissions:

Not every perl script begins with #!/usr/bin/perl etc, and without such a line,
the file is reported as ascii text. Ditto for .py, and I guess for .rb etc.
Granted, we can't directly activate such a file, but it's still feasible for
user to setup to run it as an argument in a command line.

> With libs, maybe you grep for "ELF" as well, that would also work for
> executable binaries.   (But the only action I can think of offhand that
> someone might want to set for shared libs is ldd and it couldn't be that in
> demand).

AFAIK ELF is common, but not necessarily universal, format for all *NIX's that
can run gtk. See the various default actions in emelFM2 for libs, shared and
otherwise. Maybe they could benefit from some attention ?