Re: jpegs throwing up 'ambiguous filetype' dialog

  • From: Walther Maldonado <walther.md@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:25:47 +0100

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:23:58 +1100
<tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:06:58 +1100
> <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> One further question, below.
>
> > > When clicking on image files with jpg or jpeg suffixes, emelfm2 sometimes
> > > throws up an 'ambiguous filetype' dialog, asking "What would you like to
> > > do with ..'
> > >
> > > If I click 'open', it opens and displays the file using the app I have
> > > set as the first action in config - in my case this opens with xzgv.
> > >
> > > emelfm2 does not exhibit this behavior with all jpegs, some it just
> > > opens. I am not sure what the differentiating factor is.
> Does the file have executable permission ? (in which case, there's currently
> no check for it being a 'real' executable item, so you need specify whether
> to run it)

I often bump into this issue when browsing Fat/NTFS partitions, where image
files get the "what would you like to do...?" dialogue since they are both
executable and recognised by extension. How about a configuration setting that
goes something like: "Don't attempt to execute files with a known extension"?
That would "solve" the ambiguity problem when dealing with this scenario (plus,
I am not sure what kind of executable file with a known extension you'd really
want to execute, even .exe files would be opened with wine rather than be
executed directly).

Walther.