Re: emelfm2-svn problems

  • From: Charles A Edwards <eslrahc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 18:22:34 -0500

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 09:08:00 +1100
tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > > The 7za documentation is vague about creation of new archives. The
> > > pack command used to be of the form you've suggested, but was
> > > changed
> > > - and I don't recall exactly why so. Possibly duplication of
> > > items in the archive? Anyhow, it's back to that now. See what
> > > happens.
> >
> > Was discussed ages ago:
> > //www.freelists.org/post/emelfm2/Can-not-use-7za-to-compress-directory
> > And 7z compressing is still unusable.
>
> So there's a choice to be made:
>
> 1. tar everything selected, before adding the tarball to the 7z
> archive
>
> 2. tar everything selected if any dir is selected, before adding to
> archive
>
> 3. tar any selected dir, before adding all items to archive
>
> ATM (having been changed a week or so ago), option 2 is used.
>
> I suppose any tar involvement makes it less portable than we might
> want.

It is recommended that if tar is to be used/involved then lzma/xz
should be used rather than 7z as both lzma/xz are supported in tar
whereas 7z Is Not.

(and no I did not just pull that out of my ass....
see the Limitations section here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7z)

As now implemented in emelfm2 using 7z on the directory /Documents
uses sh>tar cvf - "Documents" | 7za a -t7z -si "Documents.7z"
<snip>

Creating archive Documents.7z

Compressing  [Content]

Everything is Ok
sh>tar cvf - "Documents" | 7za a -t7z -si "Documents.7z" (23497)
sh>returned '0'

If I then unpack that archive
Processing archive: /home/charles/Notebooks/Documents.7z

Extracting  Documents

Everything is Ok

Size:       117135360
Compressed: 109667665
>7za x "/home/charles/Notebooks/Documents.7z" (30960) returned '0'

The problem here is that the Document that was extracted Is Not a
directory but a tar archive which Must be renamed Document.tar which
Only then can be extracted as the directory /Documents

It would be my preference/recommendation that directories be treated
the same as files with 7z and also use
">7za a -t7z %%f > %s"

If the user wants/needs to use tar he can choose 1 of the other tar
supported formats available in emelfm2, personally I use tar.xz for all
compression.

    Charles

--
It's the thought, if any, that counts!