Re: emelFM2 menu icon

  • From: Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:58:10 +0300

Hello Charles

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Charles A Edwards
<eslrahc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It does not require a patch.
>
> Many apps built from source can, and do install icons in various
> directories.
>
> Distributions normally handle Menu icons location in their packaging
> scripts.

Previously Tom also pointed to distro maintainers who could handle this.

However, in my experience, most apps built from source, by default
manage to associate an icon in the Xfce menu (and I assume Gnome and
KDE ones). Not wildly important, but it would be nice if those on
non-Mandriva systems---Gentoo, Debian derivatives, other non-RPM
systems, which mainly use the vanilla emel tarball and not the the
distro's repos---could also get the appropriate icon in the menu. As
far as I know, most distributions don't maintain emel very well. FOr
example, Ubuntu ships v0.4.1 while Debian doesn't.

> I work with the rpm system and can not speck directly of the Debian or
> other system.
>
> With rpm we just include in the emelfm2.spec
>
> nstall -m 644 -D icons/emelfm2_48.png
> %{buildroot}%{_iconsdir}/hicolor/48x48/apps/%{name}.png install -m 644
> -D icons/emelfm2_32.png
> %{buildroot}%{_iconsdir}/hicolor/32x32/apps/%{name}.png install -m 644
> -D icons/emelfm2_24.png
> %{buildroot}%{_iconsdir}/hicolor/24x24/apps/%{name}.png
>
> Which is Mandriva's preferred location.
>
> If you are installing from source And not using a script all you need
> do to have All emelfm2 icons installed
> in /usr/local/share/pixmaps/emelfm2.png is to edit Makefile.conf
> Change
> ICON_DIR ?= $(PREFIX)/share/pixmaps/$(TARGET)
> ICON_DIR ?= $(PREFIX)/share/pixmaps

Putting all emel icons in 'pixmaps' might create an unnecessary mess
in that folder. Imagine if all apps did this.

> Or simply continue as you are now and create the link.

A symlink would probably be the optimal solution. Regards
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm