Re: libmagic dep and autotools questions

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 17:08:40 +1000

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 21:59:42 +0300
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Tom
> Shouldn't libmagic be listed as a dep to emel? I've just tried to
> build it on a fresh Xubuntu, and it failed as follows:
> generating 'objs/src/e2_bookmark.deps'
> compiling 'src/e2_bookmark.c'
> In file included from src/utils/e2_hook.h:23,
>                  from src/emelfm2.h:475,
>                  from src/e2_bookmark.h:23,
>                  from src/e2_bookmark.c:26:
> src/utils/e2_utils.h:25:20: error: magic.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from src/utils/e2_hook.h:23,
>                  from src/emelfm2.h:475,
>                  from src/e2_bookmark.h:23,
>                  from src/e2_bookmark.c:26:
> src/utils/e2_utils.h:86: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list
> before ‘magic_t’
> make: *** [objs/src/e2_bookmark.o] Error 1
the development package/files are needed for compiling, but if the
corresponding library is not available at runtime, well things will still work
but not so informatively. The e2 website indicates this. Not sure where else
it's recorded.

> With libmagic-dev it compiled just fine. I also got a strange compile
> message with r2126:
> compiling 'plugins/e2p_upgrade.c'
> plugins/e2p_upgrade.c: In function ‘_e2p_upgrade_run’:
> plugins/e2p_upgrade.c:111: warning: ignoring return value of ‘system’,
> declared with attribute warn_unused_result
> compiling 'plugins/e2p_view.c'
Your [g]libc and/or compiler is set up to be a bit more informative than mine.
Ignoring the result just means we ignore the (very low) risk that the function
call will fail.

> Another question. I remember that you were once considering to use
> some sort of automatic configuring system, although autotools was too
> much overhead. For example, most apps use ./configure to determine
> available deps and dynamically turn on functions, something that is
> currently achieved by meddling with Makefile.config. Have you made any
> progress on this?
No, I stopped looking into that long ago.