Re: Scrollbars placement

  • From: Adam Krolnik <adam.krolnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:37:40 -0500

Hello Tom;

If you were going to switch the scrollbar to the left side of the output window,
where is the code that would have to be changed ?

 Adam

tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:30:39 -0500
"Adam Krolnik" <akrolnik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've seen that having the scrollbar on the left allows you to have less than
the entire window on the
screen and still be able to scroll the output.
Unless it's the left side of the window that's offscreen ...

Also a useful option for left handers who gravitate to the left side instead
of the right for things.
As a left-hander, I can attest that not all such creatures gravitate there !

I guess it comes down to habit.

As to the the scope, I'd pick filelists  + output.

Myself, I can't think of a compelling reason to differentiate within an
application (or even within a desktop session more generally). Muscle-memory,
again.

In fact, I'm a bit inclined now to disable the existing filelist-bars-placement
option, it'd be the first time for a while that I've found an opportunity to
_reduce_ code.

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 6:04 AM, <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2. I found the scrollbar position option. But the output pane doesn't
have
such an option.
   I was hoping to have the scrollbar on the left side, but you may not
have
done that due
   to the tabs feature.
There are lots of scrollbars in the application, only the filelist bars
are relocatable. That's an option from the very early days of emelFM2. It
never seemed worthwhile replicating more generally. Not least because, as
you observe, there are consequential UI effects to be managed, and because
to now, there's been no public indication that anyone ever changed this
option.

Do any of you have an undeclared interest in this ?

What is the most sensible scope for a scrollbars placement option ?
 whole application ?
 whole application except button bars ?
 whole main-window (i.e. including button bars) ?
 filelists + output pane ?
 filelists (as now) ?

--
   Soli Deo Gloria