[elky] Re: Trip

  • From: "Mary McCarthy" <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:56:36 -0700

No, the designated hitter IS strategy. It enables a manager to change things around and throw the unexpected at a pitcher. By taking out that given weak batter in the No. 9 position, it changes the possibilities.

Yes, AL games are longer. But the alternative is reruns of stuff that was awful the first time.

Weatherman actually predicted 107* today. Out here in the woods we hit 101* yesterday. unpleasant.

mary

The designated hitter removes much of the strategy that makes baseball
great.  Remember, it was only started for the 1974 season as a way to try
to generate more offense in a time when pitching was dominant.  It was
supposed to be an experiment, but it can never go away when it is
extending the careers of so many who should have retired half a decade
ago.

I find that AL games take longer, which is strange with the double switch
and pinch hitting all but eliminated, and without the mental aspects that
go with having a weak bat in the 9 spot (generally), it's just not the
same game, to me.  Now, I've grown up in an NL town, so I'm biased, but
when I play, I don't have a designated hitter.

At lower levels of the sport, pitchers tend to be among the best hitters,
because they are better all-around athletes.