[elky] Re: OT: A little storm, part 2

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 22:42:49 -0700

On 11/20/2010 9:18 PM, Chris Lindh wrote:
I think you made a fine choice.  You can speed up boot times with a
solid state drive... they are unbelievably fast compared to mechanical
drives.

I have a 60gb SSD in my Dreadnought.  I meant that the DVD player was slow to start.  It's not a big deal.

The only benefit to the new releases is with integrated GPUs, which
are never as good as a dedicated GPU, but they're supposed to be
improved.  Thin & light laptops (3 pounds or less) usually have
integrated graphics unless you're willing to spend ~$1500, which is
too much for a laptop the size of a netbook (11" to 13" screens)... in
my opinion.

Meh...no big deal either.

What IS a big deal is Windoze' refusal to let me into places like the Start Menu folder and to rename things like the hosts file without booting in safe mode.  The voices are telling me to shoot.  I'd better use the camera.  Speaking of that, here's one from the baby Panasonic.

That's out by back dining room window at about 12 million ISO.  But you can see the amount of snow that's fallen in a few hours.  Just before I shot this, I heard a sound like a rifle shot.  I spose it was either a tree branch breaking or a transformer; the power's still on, so it's probably the former.

I better go shoot some more photos before I take aim at the new laptop.