[elky] New window wipes (felts)

  • From: Dann Keller <kwhale22@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ray Buck et al <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 19:35:45 -0700

I just finished putting new door window wipes on the elky.  It was not a hard
job but some aspects were a PITA.  The old wipes were really shot and let the
glass really rattle around when the window was not all the way up or all the
way down.  As well, some of the outer wiper material was so brittle it had
broken off and any water on the window went straight down into the door.

Unbeknowst to me, the drivers door innards had been accessed before; for what
reason I don't know.  I'm just the second owner and the original owner was
pretty straight forward but didn't mention having work done inside the door.
But whoever did it left off the waterproof paper lining as well as the jute
insulation.  There was a slight coating of rust in a couple of places so I
sanded those down and used Eastwood encapsulator on them.  They should last
anothe 28 years with luck.

Since I wanted to get the project completed and didn't want to wait for some
catalog-ordered OEM-type replacement insulation, and couldn't find find any
locally I went to Plan B -- I got some sound deadening sheet material from a
local car audio store.  Not the easiest stuff to work with but after it's in it
works great.  Door slams with a solid "clunk"  with no metal sounds or rattles
at all.  FWIW the stuff I used was 'Roadkill' under the Stinger brand.

The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow so it's back to working outside
while I can.  You know how it is, sometimes it rains up here in Washington.

Dan