[elky] Re: House was Swapmeet....

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 07:05:52 -0600

This sounds great, Robert. I'm glad you're moved in and even tho ya got a laundry list o' stuff to to, it's still better than living in a noisy apartment.

I wish ya both all the best.

Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email program

On 7/8/2010 8:17 AM, Robert Adams wrote:

Nope no attachment. Gmail does do some goofy things though. Need to get back to using Eudora cause I hate Gmail... Too goofy to use.

Well we got the last few things moved in last night and got her apartment cleaned so she can hand it over today. She should get her full deposit back.

Really sore and tired... She has a couch with a hide away bed and it weighs 300+ lbs. It's nasty and won't be staying long. I'll have to take it apart and throw it away... Hard to get rid of couches.

First things on my list are a number of plumbing issues. Got a few faucets that drip and stuff like that. The problem is this house has galvanized iron water pipes and they well rust. And the little bit of red rust comes through every so often and the tiny flecs can screw up seals. SO for now I'm repairing. Don't want to put new fixtures in cause they will get beat up too. SO just replacing seals etc. One of my projects will be to replumb the house with PEX. WIll get it all run underneath and stubbed up in the walls with copper and have it all ready. Then one day I'll transition everything over to the new system. That said I am going to be doing major remodeling when Alex moves out. Working on the plans for a real master bedroom and bathroom and the wast of floor space hallway will be part of the master. Gotta get it all drawn out and see what I'm going to have to rebuild structure wise to get it there. Adding a few piers and putting engineered beams in underneath is no biggie. Unfortunatly the roof was stick built and not trusses. I love trusses cause not a single interior wall is load bearing.

Anyway for now I gotta get the little stuff figured out and need to replace the exterior doors. The front will be a pain cause it has a sidelight.... Meaning expensive in most cases.

So the first night was uneventful and much quieter than the apartment complex she was in. No real issues yet other than the lack of funding...

               Robert Adams

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    it's over in the drywall repair supplies.  Just a spray can. Some
    come with different size tubes to attach that give you large,
    medium and small 'bits'.  You just spray after repairing and
    sanding, then when it's dry paint right over it.  Matches the
    lumpy paint, and works pretty good.

    I like smooth walls too, but they are rare.  And after removing
    that gunk from the ceiling in the family room, I have been told
    'never again'.  so, next time we drywall right over it.  What a mess.

    was there an attachment on this message?  computer seems to think
    so but I can't find it.

    Mary

                       Never seen that spray paint. Not needed here
    since all walls are textured. Just paint it and you'll never see
    it.  But I'd rather have smooth walls cause I can make a wall
    flat and smooth but matching texture is really tough.

                         For the Kilz I really prefer the oil base
    but it is harder to clean up. I just pitch the brush and a little
    lighter fluid to clean the hands if not wearing gloves. The water
    based can't be used over knots in trim as it will not stop the
    sap from coming through. It'll look ok at first then will show
    pretty quick.

                      Never liked those wagner guns much. They are
    nice when the work but a pain to clean and keep running. The big
    ariless ones are easy to clean. Just fill a 5 gal bucket with
    water and flush it out till it comes clean.