[elky] Re: Heads for Monte - Happy Thanksgiving

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:24:37 -0600

It would be a good one for the students. But because you would have to set
the valves again, I don't think that will happen. It is a tricky enough job
to do that, and the students don't have a historically good result doing
that (from what Tom says). Hell, I am not that good at it, and that worries
me enough. Leaving it in their hands..... well, I would rather have myself
to blame.

I changed damn near all the gaskets except the heads when I had that engine
out shortly after getting the car <http://www.myelcamino.net/monte/log.htm>.
Wish I would have done it, but it ran too well. The valve guides have
started to go bad over the last year or so, and are getting measurably worse
very quickly. Fouling the plugs from the oil is making it harder to start.
In the winter, on a -14 day, that is really gonna count.

You are right, it's no small job. I can tear down the front and drain fluids
in the evening, then have help for the heavy bolts so my back doesn't take a
hit. Then there is lifting them out and putting them back on, with the
torquing of the bolts being the major thing I want to avoid with the back. I
just remember doing that on the Elky<http://www.myelcamino.net/hg1/index.htm>,
and I really felt it. Page 2 <http://www.myelcamino.net/hg2/index.htm> shows
the same casting numbers as the ones I just got, going on the Elky Now with
the dished pistons, it never ran as good as the old 305 heads I took off
that motor. I guess I need to see what the pistons are on the Monte. It
would be what ever the Mexican Grate Motor was born with.

My back is much better than it was before surgery, believe it or not, and I
do the therapy exercises after the walks, so I may be in better shape with
the muscles than I was before. I still don't want to push my luck, it's just
not worth it.

Can't keep a Hot Rodder out of the garage though!

JC