[elky] Re: Frame repair - El Camino

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:21:25 -0600

Yesterday it rained like preparation for Noah's flood. Then it stopped. Now it's about 90 here. Totally wacked.

Congrats on the way ya fixed the frame. I think that's really kool. Btw, I'm with you on installing the rear center section. Seems like transmissions and rear ends are mysteries to me. But it sounds like Elkenstein is really gettin the works. I can't remember...did you ever put big brakes on it? It seems like yer gonna have it ready to do another track day thing. I'm considering doing that with mine when I'm thru racing it on the salt. That reminds me. I gotta put the drop spindles in. D'oh!

Keep up yer good work, man.

On 7/17/2012 4:12 PM, John Christensen wrote:
I just had to get the welder out today ...... It's 100*+ and there wasn't enough heat in the world, so I thought I would generate some more.

See the progress on this page:
http://www.myelcamino.net/elcamino_new.htm near the bottom of the page.

I called the guy that put the transmission in, to see if he would be interested in putting the posi that I have for it in the rear. They were busy, and I'll catch up with them tomorrow.

Now that the frame won't twist if it hooks up, it's time to get power to both wheels. Hate to pay for it, but even though I took on this task today, there was no wrenching to it, or lifting differentials. I don't want to screw anything up in my neck just yet. (or ever again) Robert had tried to work in a trip to help, and that was much appreciated, but he had a lot more fun at a family reunion ;-) I would ask you to try to plan another one, but it's been hotter here than it has been in TX so there isn't much incentive. Not like when he came up form 60* weather down there when we did the serpentine system, and it was 13 below zero in January.

There is a car show in Saint Charles tonight, but I think I'll remain in the cool for the rest of the day.
All for now,
1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net <http://www.myelcamino.net/>