[edi581] Re: internet and language

  • From: JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:40:35 EST

In a message dated 11/12/03 8:40:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sspunky52@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hi everyone,
>  I'm working on a research project for my Sociolinguistics class on how the
> internet and technology are changing our language.  I'm exploring how these
> influence the language skills of children and young adults.  As you can
> imagine, I'm finding a lot of controversy over whether or not technology is
> breaking down Standard English.  I'm also finding that not everyone is
> fighting the change, but seeing it as a way in which our language is
changing
> to fit the needs of our society.  If you have an opinion, observations or
> have noticed any recent articles on the controversy, please let me know.
> Thanks!
>  Marisa

Marisa...

Check out an article named "Omg! Instant messaging isn't the downfall of the
English language--in fact, it may help kids with writing for school" located
here: http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2003/082003/08262003/1064436

Also, check these web sites:

http://www.pbs.org/parents/issuesadvice/growingwithmedia/preteen/dilemmas/dile
mma5.html
http://www.rediff.com/search/2003/jun/13english.htm

Finally, check out "Yo, can u plz help me write English?" located at:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/2003-03-31-chat_x.htm

Jerry

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx