[edi581] internet and language

  • From: Marisa Simmonds <sspunky52@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:39:37 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone,
I'm working on a research project for my Sociolinguistics class on how the
internet and technology are changing our language.  I'm exploring how these
influence the language skills of children and young adults.  As you can
imagine, I'm finding a lot of controversy over whether or not technology is
breaking down Standard English.  I'm also finding that not everyone is fighting
the change, but seeing it as a way in which our language is changing to fit the
needs of our society.  If you have an opinion, observations or have noticed any
recent articles on the controversy, please let me know.  Thanks!
Marisa

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx