[edi581] Stoll article response

  • From: vsch0518 <vsch0518@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581 <edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:57:32 -0500

Hello everyone,

Well, after reading this article, I have to say that Mr. Stoll needs to spend
a little more time in classrooms that use the computer educationally, instead
of assuming that they are just used for disipline and behavior purposes.  I am
pretty sure that there is not one of us that has our students on the computers
all day long and are using it for every subject and aspect being taught in the
classroom. It is obvious to me that Mr. Stoll has not been shown the various
ways in which we teachers use the computer to inspire, intrigue, and capture
interest in learning.  The internet is not the only use for computers in the
classroom today.  We have learned in class that there are numerous ways in
which to incorporate computer programs, and strategies into our lessons.
However, what needs to be stressed is that these ways are included in the
lessons, not the lessons themselves.  We all know that the best way to have
students learn without being bored is to impliment various strategies and
methods into their learning. The varous programs offered through the use of
computers adds to list of strategies that can be used.
Yes, I do agree that students should learn by working with others and the
teacher as well.  I mean, having social skills is one of the key elements
needed today for any child to be a successful student and learner.  There are
plenty of cooperative uses of the computer that can be used within lessons.
So, I say yes, more money should be given to schools so they can obtain
computers.  We all know that there are many schools without a single computer
in a classroom.  What needs to happen, is a balance of how much money goes to
what schools.  For too long, money has gone to the haves and not to the
have-nots.  It is a fantasy of mine that someday our country will find a way
to create a economic balance for our school funds and all will be awarded the
same advantages as the others.  (Well, I believe it is always good to dream)
Anyway, as far as other subject areas being eliminated (art and music) to make
way for computer labs, I have not seen that either.  In fact, I have seen
music and art classes benefit from the use of computer labs. Many creative and
new lessons have been made that would amaze you to what can be done with a
computer in the world of art and music. Sure using the computer has made
learning fun, interesting, creative, and inspirational - but isn't that what
we want for our students learning? No, using the computer is not the only way,
but it is nice to incorporate it once in a while for as my grandmother always
told me "Variety is the spice of life" and it is that spice that we teachers
have added that has made it possible for students to push and advance their
knowledge and learning even further today.

Vicki
"Never pass up the opportunity for betterment, otherwise you will just end up
at average"

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx