[edi581] Clifford Stoll reaction

  • From: "DAVID RESSEGUIE" <DRESSEGUIE@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:08:47 -0500

Hello everyone,
Well, Mr. Stoll opinion is obvious, he doesn't feel that the computer
in the classroom is necessary. He feels that there are more important
issues in the classroom, he maybe right in some instances, and yet wrong
in others (this is from one perspective of a 4th grade teacher). For
instance, to teach the word processing correctly could take, and most
likely takes years. If done correctly. Typing skills need to be taught,
some of the mechanics of the program. Spell check, thesaurus, and other
proper uses and tricks need to be taught. One day, as Mr. Stoll requires
would be that, one full day of nothing else, no math, no social studies,
science, forget it. Yet, I am sure I would have a student or more out of
school, that day, and then have to reschedule a special day with just
those students. But I know, as well as the rest of you out there, Mr.
Stoll is wrong to assume one day is enough for most educational
programs. Not if you are to do them justice.
As for the problems he seems to think we have in our schools, "It is
often discipline, lack of attention, poor study habits, the
unwillingness to sit down..." it is the computer that has helped many
students maintain attention, study and research for not only for
themselves, but for their peers and teachers.
Nothing irritates me more is someone who believes school should be
non-fun, and a nightmare of experiences. Just because school was a
horrible experience for Mr. Stoll," It was work. It took hours of
reading, of thinking, of looking stuff up," his experience doesn't
mean we cannot make learning fun and enjoyable. How many of you really
remember the bad things in life, sure you can if you try, but the good
and pleasant things that happened to you jump right out, easily
remembered. So, the same with learning.
I am one of the lucky people in this world, I have 4 computers in my
room, and we use them everyday, it makes math, and reading fun to learn
(Stoll would just hate it), the program, SuccessMaker, allows the
students to learn and have fun at the same time, it also allows me as
the teacher to monitor and adjust what and how they are learning. I
believe the monies this school district has spent in computers and the
software is well worth it!
David Resseguie

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx