[edi581] Clifford Stoll reaction

  • From: Marisa Simmonds <sspunky52@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 09:37:38 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone,
I won't say that I was pleased, or displeased with Mr. Stoll's comments, but I
will say that I find his opinions not to be supported with evidence.
First of all, I do agree with the point that he makes about taking away the
interaction with classmates by using computers.  I will be the first one to say
that taking a class online is not an appropriate learning environment.  Since
my school was not given funding for a teacher of PIG/Economics, we had to try
"Cyber-High" for these courses.  Within the first 2 weeks, the students had so
many questions and were so frustrated that it wasn't worth it.  We suggested
that they print up the lessons and then complete the work together.  They
needed to discuss and so far, that has worked well.  However, that is not to
say that being online prohibits interaction.  It in fact only broadens the
community with which you can interact.
Stoll also comments that our society has an attitude that those without
technology will be left behind.  He disagrees with this, yet I believe that
this is true.  Most, if not all, of my students come from very low
socio-economic backgrounds.  I have found much evidence that they have
constantly been deprived of technology throughout school.  When I have 11th
grade students who do not know how to use word processing, I must spend one or
more class periods teaching these skills before I can move on to the bulk of
the subject matter.  Students who have been exposed to this technology are then
one or more days ahead of my students and the cycle continues.  Not everyone
can learn these skills in one day.
All in all, I agree that there are benefits to technology and set backs.  Does
this mean that we should not encourage our students to use it?  Absolutely not!
 After all, what is so wrong about having the ability to get information
instantly?
Marisa
Young Mothers Program

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx