[edi581] Clifford Stoll article

  • From: KelFede@xxxxxxx
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 13:12:09 EST

Hi everyone,
       After reading Clifford Stoll's article I would have to say that I
agree and disagree with some of his thoughts and/or opinions.  I strongly agree
with his statement when he is questioned about technology as the solution to
problems in schools today.  He goes on to say that it is often lack of
discipline, lack of attention, poor study habits and unwillingness to sit down
and
learn.  Having my own classroom for the last several years I do see his point.
If
you want a good education you have to make good choices and be a responsible
student.  By plugging yourself into a computer you will not become a better
student, it takes much more than just that.
       On the flip side I strongly disagree with his statement about students
NOT needing any computing until at least 12 years of age.  I feel that all
students should be exposed to the use of technology in school starting at a
very
early age, as years go on they will become more accustomed to using
technology.  He argues that students should know how to use e-mail, word
processing,
and a spreadsheet by the time they graduate from high school.  I think it would
be very beneficial for students to learn these skills over time in their
academic career, not in their senior year of high school.
       I would have to say their is one other statement Stoll makes that I
definitely agree with.  He goes on to say computers should not take the place
of
books.  This is so true, I do not think you should or could read a book
online.  The Internet is a wonderful source for retrieving information but, it
should never replace books.
       All in all it was a very informative article and it brought up some
good and bad points about the use of technology in our schools today!!

Kelly Fede

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx