[edi581] Re: Clifford Stoll article

  • From: "Carrie Bencal" <cbencal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:34:11 -0500

Jerry,

I thought I handed that in...maybe I had an attack of stupid.  That tends =
to happen when I get busy.  If you'll still take it, here it is.

Children are very distracted by computers mainly because they are playing =
games on them.  But if we don't show students how to use them in school, =
how will they learn how to type a paper and format it, or create a =
spreadsheet or database.  I agree with the improved communication between =
students and peers and students and teachers and problem solving, but who =
says you can't have it both ways.  I disagree with Mr. Stoll when he says =
you can learn a word processing program in one or two days.  It sounds to =
me like he has never tried to teach a person how to use the word processing=
 program to its full potential.  If you want a student to know just the =
basics, then that will take approximately 10 weeks of class time.  If you =
want them to know most of the ins and outs of a program like MS Word for =
example, that will take about a semester.  This time frame may be a little =
shorter or longer depending on a student's level of education.=20

I use a computer which makes my life (job) a lot easier.  Everyone who is =
a teacher or who has been a teacher knows that teachers are very busy =
people.  If I hadn't taken classes in high school, I would have been lost =
in college.  Every paper you turn in in college must be typed or word =
processed.  Well let me ask you, how many of you still own a typewriter?  =
Or, how many of you know what a typewriter is?  I remember have my mom's =
old typewriter as a toy.  I would have hated to have to use that old thing =
to type my papers on in college.  I was fortunate I chose to take a class =
in high school.  My question to you is, when are we going to start blaming =
the parents for the lack of discipline and communication?  When did =
teachers become babysitters?  Four out of five of the classes I teach are =
taught in the computer lab and I have plenty of communication with my =
students.  I don't just give them a worksheet (handout) and tell them to =
get typing or whatever.  The same goes for the class we all are taking*Comp=
uters in the Classroom.  To me the only time a computer gets abused is =
when kids sit in front of it for hours and play video games.  On the other =
hand, there is a time for play too!

Byron-Bergen Central School
6917 W. Bergen Rd.
Bergen, NY  14416-9747