[edi581] Clifford Stoll Article Response

  • From: jmil0312 <jmil0312@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:13:06 -0500

After reading the interview with Clifford Stoll, I decided that I disagree
with most of what Stoll had to say.  Stoll discusses the ease at which
students can learn specific programs on the computer (ex. learn how to use
word processing program in 1 or 2 days).  I believe this is true but I think
the importance is not that students know how a program works, but how they can
use it in their daily lives.  The different applications of a program cannot
be taught in just 1 or 2 days.  For example, a keyboarding class does not
simply familiarize a student with the keys on the keyboard but teaches the
student how to use a keyboard in order to type a letter.
I also believe that technology should be used to enhance learning, not just to
teach.  Stoll refers to "plunking" a student in front of a computer to make
them learn.  I do not know a single teacher that simply "plunks" a student in
front of a computer without first incorporating the computer to what that
student is currently learning in class.
Stoll also stated that in order for schools to bring in technology, they will
have to give something else up.  I have not seen this in any way at the school
that I work at and we are currently updating the technology in our school.
Finally, Stoll states that learning is not supposed to be fun.  I believe that
learning can be fun (heaven forbid) and computers can assist students in
making learning fun.

Jeremy Miller

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx