[edi581] Re: Intern Vs. Tenured

  • From: JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:40:36 EST

Tonette  wrote:

>  As a tenured teacher does this automatically mean that I
>  am a "professional" teacher who can do whatever they want
>  and not get fired,?

Sadly, Tonette is perpetuating an unfortunate myth about tenure. Far too many
people (including teachers) seem to think it means exactly that... "you can't
ever get fired... for anything!"

That's VERY far from the truth. In reality, tenure merely guarantees a
teacher "due process" before he/she can be let go. Non-tenured teachers can be
dismissed with any explanation whatsoever. They have no "due process" rights.
However, once you are granted tenure, you cannot be capriciously dismissed
(often
by an administrator that doesn't like you). There is a procedure that MUST be
followed!

Tenure is a form of job security for teachers who have successfully completed
a probationary period. Its primary purpose is to protect competent teachers
from arbitrary non-renewal of contract for reasons unrelated to the educational
process -- personal beliefs, personality conflicts with administrators or
school board members, and the like.

For an interesting perspective on "If There Were No Tenure," read here:

   http://www.greece.k12.ny.us/taylor/topics/ifnotenure.htm

Jerry

   JerryTaylr@xxxxxxx