[edi581] Online Assignment #3

  • From: Lynven345@xxxxxxx
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 16:48:41 EST

Lynn Vendetti
EDI 581
Fall 2001
Online Assignment #3

I have witnessed examples of copyright violations, but at the time did not
realize that any copyright laws were being violated. Or, prehaps I did
realize it, but had thought that it was no big deal. This is because often
when people mention that something is a voilation of the copyright laws they
often snicker about it.

One example I witnessed just recently was a teacher who had copied a booklet
filled with practice activities for the 4th Grade ELA. A company sent the
sample copy of the booklet to the school or to this teacher in order to
promote and sell their product. Every page on the booklet contained the
words, " do not copy."  The teacher told me she simpled whited-out those
words and copied it. Actually she didn't do the whiting-out she had one her
students who had finished his work early do it for her. As she finished
telling me about it, she snickered. This was a violation of copyright laws
because the teacher did not purchase the booklet or have permission from the
company to copy it.

Another example I witnessed  occurred this year after my school purchased the
rights to "Grade Quick," a program designed for grading purposes. Our school
offered an inservice for teachers that had wanted to learn how to use the
program. I asked one of my colleages if she was going to attend the inservice
scheduled for that night. She replied, "No. I already know how to use it. I
have been using it for years and have installed it on my computer at home. I
thought that was wonderful, but later found out that the owners of " Grade
Quick" did not allow teachers to use the program at home unless their school
had purchased a special license and that this license also had a specified
number of users. Our school had not purchased this part of the program,
therefore she was violating the copyright laws. Now I know why this teacher
snickered when she told me about her use of "Grade Quick" at home.

As a teacher I try to avoid giving my students the opportunity to engage in
plagiarism by instructing them how to write a research report and monitor
students' work during the process. In fourth grade children are not very
familiar with the research process. I give my fourth graders a packet with
step by step instructions on how they will research and write their report.
Very little, if any work is done outside of class. I edit with students to
make sure the information they include in the report is written in thier own
words. If it isn't we discuss what they need to do to put the information in
their words.  I feel this is a skill students need to be taught, and
hopefully will continue to use. The students are also taught how to write and
why they need to include a bibliography page in their report.