[edi581] Online Assignment #3

  • From: "BALLERSTEIN, LISA" <LBALLERSTEIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx '" <edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 20:28:31 -0500

Online assignments #3
Lisa Ballerstein

Two examples of plagiarism that I have witnessed are the following:
1.  Teachers making multiple copies of workbook materials that say, "no part
of this is to be copied without permission".
2.  At a workshop I recently attended, the spokes person said that she often
copies parts of children's books to use for reading practice.

Both of these examples volatile copyrights.  The first is in violation of
copyrights because the materials say they may not be copied without
permission of the author.  The second example is in violation of copyrights
because the speaker did not have permission to copy pages from the
children's books.

Both of the violations could have been avoided had the parties involved
gotten permission from the authors to copy the materials.  Also the teachers
in the first example could have tried to get extra workbooks before copying
the materials or had students share workbooks and write their answers on
separate sheets of paper.  The speaker in the second example could have
tried to use interlibrary loan to obtain a sufficient amount of reading
materials.

As a teacher there are many things that I can do to prevent plagiarism.
First I can start by modeling a good example and telling my students the
processes I go through so I do not violate copyrights.  Secondly I can be
open and discuss the issues when they are working on papers and projects.
Also I would inform them about any issues that come up in the news about the
subject of plagiarism.  In addition I would teach them strategies like
sighting their sources and using index cards to prevent them from
plagiarizing.  I also thought making essay questions more complex, which we
discussed in class, would be another effective way to prevent plagiarism and
challenge my students.