[edi581] Online Assignment #3

  • From: "Brian Povio" <yeahyeah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 17:10:41 -0800

Brian Povio
Online Assignment #3

The first example of copyright violation I have witnessed took place in school.
 When I purchase workbooks for my students to use I always look on the inside
cover to make sure it says "The purchase of this material entitles the buyer to
reproduce worksheets and activities for classroom use only."  However there are
workbooks that say "No part of this book may be reproduced or copied in any
form without written permission from the publisher."  On numerous occasions I
have witnessed teachers in the copy room making copies from these and I would
bet they had no gotten written permission.  The second copyright violation I
witnessed was by a college friend.  Faced with a paper deadline instead of
taking the time to complete the assignment. He went to an online source  and
printed out a term paper.

Both of these examples could have avoided copyright violation by simply
obtaining permission from the publishers.  Once they had permission then they
would be able to use these materials for their own use.

As a teacher There are a couple of things that I can do to help my students
avoid plagiarism.  The first is to talk about it.  I would give my students the
information they need to avoid the problem.  I would do a unit on what is
allowed and what isn't when writing or reproducing materials.  The second thing
I could do is set a good example.  I would make sure that I was not breaking
any copyright rules when handing out class materials.  This way the students
can see the proper way of preparation as well as they will not be able to say
that I was guilty of copyright violations.