[edi581] copyright infringement

  • From: sdavis161s@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 08:13:20 -0500

Suzanne Davis
Copyright Infringement

Example One:
The first example of copyright infringement I have witnessed is very blatent.
A test to assess student strengths and weaknesses was purchased by a program
along with the answer sheet forms.  The books are not copied, however the
answer sheet is and it has the copyright on the answer sheet.  There is no
doubt in my mind that it should not be copied.

Example Two:
The second example of a copyright infringement I have witnessed is that of
copying a newspaper article to use in class.  I really didn't realize this a
violation.

Example One:
After reading many articles and parts of the law itself on copyrights, this
procedure should cease immediately.  It does not fall into the fair use
category and a law suit could easily be brought against this school and that
particular person doing the copying.  My questions might be does the school go
to the extent many of the universities do to discourage and help their teachers
understand what fair use and copyright is.  Many of the college websites I
visited have detailed guidelines published as to what is okay to do and not to
do when it comes to copying.  It looks like these colleges would not stand
behind their staff if the above example one were the case.  They would not
stand for this.  Also, copiers these days make a copy of what the person is
copying in their memory.  I wonder how this might be used against the person or
school in a copyright case?

Example Two:
This case of copyright infringement isn't as clear cut.  From what I read a
single copy of the article for use in the classroom is okay.  Now, due to time
constraints a teacher makes a class copy.  It seems that this teacher then can
make the classroom copy for a one-time distribution in his or her class.  What
if that teacher collects the article and doesn't copy it agin, but uses it over
and over again for his or her classroom?  It seems a little muddy here, but
again from what I have read this might be okay.  The teacher should however get
permission from the author of the article after the first distribution when
time allows.  This will protect her and the school.

In order to avoid these copyright uncertainties and the blatent abuses, the
school should do as many universities have done and put the copyright
regulations where the staff can see it and refer to it.  Access to a permission
form, like the one Jerry has a link to, would be helpful.  The school system
has to be the leader and stand as an example for the staff and realize how
serious this could be.  They would lose the lawsuit in the first example, but
the second is doubtful.  But, if one instance is examined in a lawsuit that
might open up that school for scrutiny in other copying and copyright issues.

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/