[edi581] oneline #3

  • From: Lara Ezard <lararon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 01:22:24 -0800

1.The first typical copyright infringement that comes to mind is that of
the instructor that utilizes a "cousepack" of various articles,
chapters, etc., for a use in teaching a course, only to repeat it's use
again in subsequent courses. In the specific course I am referring to,
the instructor also charged each student a 15$ fee for a  "copying
cost". A second example regards the church I attend. Probably 20 years
ago, a folk group was formed. The music sheets were copied for the
members, and the lyrics were typed each week in pamphlets for the
congregation to participate in the music.

2. The first example violated copyright restrictions in two ways. First,
the "course pack" created violated copyright law if used again in
subsequent semesters. (however, the instructor may have actually
received permission, this I am not aware of) Secondly, money requested
must be the exact amount of the cost for the actual copying of the
material. Again, I have no way of knowing. Did the packet actually cost
15$ per student to produce? Perhaps it was more, perhaps less. I suspect
that in both potential infringements, that they were in fact violating
copyright restrictions. The second example violates copyright law with
certainty. A single music book or sheet was purchased and copied for use
by many, both in the direct copying of the music, and in the copying of
the lyrics.

3. In the first example, the instructor could have obtained permission
from the authors of the various works and articles for use from course
to course. She could have also designed new "course packs" each semester
inclusive of fresh information, and would not have needed permission of
any sort, but only to have simply noted sources and their copyrights.
She also could have tallied the exact cost of copying the material for
each student as opposed to a "rounded approximation" as to avoid
copyright violation. In the second example, the members of the folk
group did infact realize their infringement and now purchases music
sheets and books for all members of the group. Further more, the
congregation utilizes a purchased music issue (specifically for this
purpose) located in each pew. In other words, absolutely nothing is
copied. All music utilized is purchased in the number needed for it's
use.

4. The six strategies noted by Nancy Rockstroh certainly offers some
good ideas to minimize plagiarism. A good educator sets up a creative
environment for students so that they are motivated to research, to
write, to share their ideas, and they become excited about the things
they learn along the way. To be intrinsically motivated, and actually
want to do an assignment because it is truly meaningful to the student
automatically eliminates the desire to plagiarize. As mentioned in
class, we need to think, really think, about the what, and the why
behind what we ask our students to do when we assign. Secondly, as corny
as it may sound, good old morals and expectations have great influence
in my belief. This must not only come me as an educator, but from the
students home(a difficult obstacle to overcome in many situations). My
parents were very clear of their expectations of me, and why. As an
educator, I too, am very clear to my students of my expectations of them
and why. I personally, have never considered plagiarism with regard to
buying or copying a paper, etc. It is not an option within the moral
character my parents instilled in me. As an educator, I can respect, and
expect from my students as well.