[edi581] EDI 581 on line assignment #3 Copyright

  • From: RAHILL3@xxxxxxx
  • To: EDI581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 00:13:04 EST

1.(1) A long time ago in a far away land....
       Term papers were available for a price. Along with the paper came a
list of who used the paper and for what class. You had to retype them or pay
someone else to type them. However I could not find a paper on "The Chemistry
of Nuclear Fuel Elements."
2.(1) If I had found one, and submitted it as my own, I would have been
guilty of plagiarism.
3.(1) Only, original, non-copied, papers would not have violated copyright
laws.

1. (2) My son enjoys writing term papers for school. Sometimes he quotes
reference sources word for word without inserting a footnote reference.
2. (2) This is not his work yet he is submitting it as such. This is at least
plagiarism and if he used a copyrighted reference, he has violated a
copyright law.
3. (2) He should use footnotes or read the articles first, then put them away
and write from his own perspective, not copy word for word.

4. There are several ways that a secondary/eliminatary teacher can structure
their assignments so that plagiarism is minimized:
       1. Eliminate the Term Paper- Who uses It!  (See note below)
       2. Teaches should work with their students to develop outlines. These
outlines                   could be developed over several weeks and become
very detailed. The outline would have to be "turned in" as part of a grade.
Then a paper would be assigned. The two would have to match for a passing
grade.
       3. Teachers could "copy" the procedure that was our first assignment.
Students would have to write short one page papers after reading / reviewing
one or more references. This could be done on a weekly basis. This repetitive
activity would be sure to develop a students writing capability.

We need to train students to organize their thoughts and then quickly sit
down and write a short essay / letter / story.

NOTE: Let us unmask the Term Paper for what it is. The Term Paper is a crock
that is primarily used by college professors. These guardians of academia
have touted the term paper so that its use has filtered down to others in
education. Just because the college professor must publish to move up in
their profession does not mean that the rest of us must suffer. NO ONE IN THE
REAL WORLD WRITES / USES TERM PAPERS! English majors DO go on to become
writers of books, plays, TV scripts, magazine articles and newspaper stories.
What about everyone else in the world. Educational administrators write
memos, etc., Is a lesson plan a Term Paper?
It would be better if we all were skilled in the art of short composition