[edi581] copyright

  • From: RobbinsMindy@xxxxxxx
  • To: edi581@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 10:03:15 EST

Two examples of copyright infringement which I have witnessed are:
1) making multiple copies of chapter books or a single chapters so that the
entire class has a book to read.
2) And printing chords off the internet from OLGA or another site and then
making multiple copies to share without permission is infringement.

The first example violates copyright restictions because the teacher who made
the copies did not get permission from the publisher to make multiple copies.
The second example violates copyright restrictions because it states directly
on the bottom that I need to include authorship and copyright information.  I
know that I have made "music books" which have not included copyright
information.

The first example could have been done withouth violating the copyright law
by asking permission from the publisher to make multiple copies.
The second could have been prevented by receiving permission from the
appropiate sources (written at the bottom of the tabs) or by not printing the
chords off the internet.

As a teacher I can minimize plagiarism by telling them which sources they may
use.  Then I can check where they got their information.  Also I can teach
them how to take notes with index cards and what copyright and plagiarism is.
 In addition, I would have them hand in all the sources they used by copying
the papers and highlighting where they got their information.

Mindy