[ebooktalk] Re: November discussion book

  • From: "Shell" <shell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 20:10:43 -0000

Trish, I found some of the descriptions of the surgery to Purefoy's face very
disturbing to read, because of the details, but that's not to say I wouldn't
have wanted them to be there as it was also fascinating.  The war certainly
made a huge difference to the knowledge of how to treat such injuries and I
doubt todays treatments would have been anywhere near as successful if it
hadn't been for those poor people coming back from the war.
Clare, I agree, that though I read this book a few months ago now that it has
stayed really fresh in my memory, where so many other books start to fade.  I
wonder if this is her only book?
David, I too thought that the comparisons between Julia's self inflicted
injuries and Purefoy's war wounds were very well done and I also grew to like
Julia by the end.
Clare, I found Pat Barker's books quite hard going, though I did enjoy them.
This one I felt was much more interesting and not quite as bleak.
I haven't read the Susan Hill, but one book I can recommend that was similar to
this one was Sebastian Barry's A long, Long Way, though I still feel Louisa
Young was far superior.
 I am sure this will be in my top 10 books of the year.