[ebooktalk] Re: November discussion book

  • From: "Trish Talbot" <trish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 09:24:22 -0000

I thought the character of Peter was really well written. She could have really turned the reader against him as his behaviour got worse throughout the story, but the way she described his feelings and his repression, I found i had at least some sympathy for him. Rose started off as a very minor character, easily forgotten, but by the end became one of the strongest characters of them all. I hope she married Gillies after the war. Like Claire, I liked the scene with Ainsworth's family. It brought out the contrast between what Ainsworth had been at home, and what he had had to face on the battle front, as well as bringing the war widows and bereaved families into the story.

i think this has to be one of the best books I've read this year.
Trish.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Clare Gailans" <cgailans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>