[ebooktalk] Re: November discussion book

  • From: "Clare Gailans" <cgailans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 09:01:38 -0000

I also thought the war scenes were terrific. I'd have liked to get to know some of the soldiers better, but it was more realistic perhaps to show them briefly, as the whole situation was so much about living from minute to minute. Ainsworth would have been fascinating to explore further. I liked the scenes with his family much later. I also found the parts about the surgery very interesting, though harrowing. What a horrendous scene in the pub with the barman who couldn't read and Riley who couldn't speak! Like Trish, I could go on and on. I finished the book fairly early in the month, and with most books I would have forgotten most of the plot, and the feel of the book, within a week or so, but this one is almost as clear in my mind as the day I finished it. Clare